Saturday, March 19, 2011

Because He Can


Jack spent a lazy afternoon playing outside in a tee shirt,
Thomas undies, and his yellow monkey rain boots...all because he can.

I love this about him. No modesty. Jut a three year old boy having fun. This simple act on his part, which he absolutely put no thought into, actually did the opposite for me.

It was a gentle reminder to cherish these moments. These moments of pure innocence. I loathe the day when he starts caring about what other people think. Mainly other children. To date his heart has never really been hurt. (Maybe slightly bruised, but never truly wounded). I dread the day he actually comes to me with a wounded heart feeling embarrassed or defeated. And although this current stage in his life is beyond physically demanding, it has yet to be truly emotionally demanding. And to me that is when things will really get tough.

I can only hope that all Clay and I teach him from now until then will prepare him for those moments. I pray for his confidence and true forgiveness of others. I pray that he will be himself and always follow his heart. I know there will be a day where my tough little guy in undies is no longer so tough or so free. A day when playing outside pantless wearing rain boots will get him made fun of. I cannot protect him forever, that I know, but I think (or at least hope) I can prepare him to handle life's not so perfect moments.

So until that day, (which unbelievably is right around the corner), I'm going to let my innocent Jack climb trees in his undies, run naked through the sprinklers, and mismatch his shoes...all because he can. There is nothing comparable to 3 year old innocence. Cherish it...





1 comment:

The Fokens Family said...

Yes..he can! It's a wonderful and adorable almost four stage. Love the whole get up!