Friday, December 10, 2010

Kitchen Memories


Some of my most cherished memories with my Grandma are from her kitchen. I loved everything about being there--the smell, her soft voice, the little lessons I learned (very little of which was cooking), and the end product...especially when it was Christmas cookies.

Well before I married Clay, my Grandma gave me a very memorable Christmas gift. It was a cookbook and maybe even her little way to market me for married life ( I think she was always secretly up to that). Regardless, it was special and what made it so special was what she wrote on the inside cover...think of me when you are in your kitchen and the happy times we had in mine -Grandma, Christmas 2001. *sniff sniff*

So every time I pull out that red cookbook, guess who I think of? Yes, my incredible Grandma, and every time a smile comes across my face and I am taken back to that very special place in my childhood.

I tell you all this because now it is Jack and Maggie's turn. It's their turn to make kitchen memories with their Grandma...the good kind...the Christmas cookie kind. With Grandma's extended visit, they were able to do just that. I feel happy for my kids. This is what Christmas is all about. What family is about. And I am so grateful that they get to experience it. Thanks Grandma for two very special days of messy kitchen memories (and everything else that fell in between).


The first day of making kitchen memories with Grandma was a glorious Gingerbread Boy.


Maggie intently watched on with her own kitchen utensils. And yes, she is that yummy...who needs Christmas cookies anyway when you have a Magpie?


Okay, so we did let Jack attempt to reap his rewards. However, thankfully for all of us, he only made it through good ol' Ginger's toes before calling it quits.



Day 2 of kitchen memories with Grandma were sugar cookies, icing, and sprinkles. What else could a boy ask for?


"There's no such fang (thing) as a green stawur (star)" and I quote from guess who.


Jack requested a yellow snowman with a blue hat (his two fave colors). I guess he got over the color issues he was having earlier with the green star.



Top that with sprinkles and you've got one pretty good Christmas memory.





No comments: