Raising a boy is hard. Partly because I'm not one myself. I don't always understand Jack's thought process, his wiring so to speak. He is so much like me which ironically makes it even more challenging. I catch myself thinking, 'Hmmm...I wouldn't do that' or 'I wouldn't have done that as a child'. Then I remember...he's a boy. A vivacious, curious, on the go, emotional boy.
I have a neighbor who has three young boys. Bless her and all of the other women I know who raised 3 boys, including my dear mother in- law. When I'm around my neighbor's boys, I always marvel at their manners and good attitude towards life. I compliment her on her "boy raising" skills and I think...I want Jack to be just like that. But how?
I question the way I raise Jack daily. Am I doing this right? Am I teaching him how to have self control? Am I fostering good values and morals? Is he focused enough? I wonder daily and on more than one occasion, is this normal boy behavior? And if something doesn't seem right, I answer myself with 'he's just a 2 year old boy'.
But, I don't think that's right. And it doesn't seem to satisfy my concerns. I need to understand him, I need to understand boys. I need to know this is "normal". If he's only two and I feel so unsure, imagine what I will feel like when he's 12....16...even 20.
I imagine this is how most parents feel, no matter the gender. But, if you have a boy, you probably know exactly what I'm talking about. It's just different, certainly challenging, and even scary at times.
I have no problem with a challenge. I think I enjoy a challenge and on many occasions, Jack is just that. A gift from God kind of challenge.
I adore that boy. I know he was meant for me and I was meant for him. He fulfills my life in so many ways. He will always be my little boy. He will always be my first child. And he is bound to keep me young while keeping me on my toes at the same time. I just want to make sure that I am giving him the guidance he deserves.
Jack and I saw that same neighbor with her three boys today. Again, I was so impressed. I had to ask, "how do you do it?". She was so honest about the challenges, the fears, and the uncertainty of raising boys. She graciously shared one of her favorite "boy raising" books with me.
Jack and I saw that same neighbor with her three boys today. Again, I was so impressed. I had to ask, "how do you do it?". She was so honest about the challenges, the fears, and the uncertainty of raising boys. She graciously shared one of her favorite "boy raising" books with me.
I am an avid reader. It use to be for pleasure, but since the addition of Jack and Maggie into my life it has become more informational. I jumped on the opportunity to learn more about raising a boy. So tonight I'll hunker down for some good knowledge based reading, say a little prayer for my Jack, and start tomorrow fresh...ready for another day of 'raising a boy'.



Such a boy...

No comments:
Post a Comment