Literally! The torrential down pours for the past 7 days have wreaked havoc on my house. Last night, in between commercials for the Dancing With the Stars, I noticed a little puddle in my laundry room, a small wet spot on my ceiling, and an inch or so of water in the unfinished part of the basement. 'Ugh'...is all I could think, because honestly I was too tired to deal with it. Clay made a quick call to our general contractor and it was set that he would come by today and hopefully find the source of our leaks. The best we could do at 9:00 p.m.

By this afternoon, the linoleum in our laundry room was bubbled up into tiny hills, the floor was soaked, that little spot on the ceiling had multiplied, and the worst of it all--the finished part of our basement that borders the storage area was drenched. No time to wait on our contractor and definitely time to worry! With Clay out of town and wild Jack home from school, I called a restoration company. (Seeing how there is isn't much I could do on my own 7 1/2 months pregnant & with a 2 year old barreling around.) They were out here within the hour and the work began. Let me rephrase that, the demolition began. I now have...
*a huge hole in my ceiling where the sheet rock has been cut out
*a concrete floor in my laundry room where the previous flooring was
* ripped up carpet in my basement hallway
*bins, tubs, storage materials & other misc. items strewn all of over the place as we wait for the basement storage area to dry
*4 industrial size fans (which are extemely loud), and 3 just as large humidifiers adorning my home in various places
The next step? Well, I meet a different contractor here on Thursday A.M. to go over the re-construction phase of this catastrophe. Then on Friday the resotration company returns to pick up their machinery. That is 3 whole days that we get to live with the obstacle course and hurricane force wind noise, in case you were counting.
Now, I'm sure I just might be able to handle this a wee bit better if I weren't nesting. Not great, but being this pregnant does not make for a patient person. I want my house clean, in order, and absolutely perfect for Maggie's arrival. I'm sure I'll be a mess post her arrival, I don't need my house to be too. Not to mention, I am having the hardest time with her nursery. And now, unfortunately, the nursery goes to the back burner for a while and I get to pick out flooring...how fun!
Of course, in the midst of a small mental breakdown this evening, my oh so calm husband says, "it will all be okay, just count your blessings". At the moment I wanted to throw someting at him. Easy for him to say--he's not pregnant. But now, that I've had time to let it soak in (no pun intended), I've decided he belongs at the top of my list. I could not get through this without him.
My lovely laundry room...floorless!
The new addition to our foyer. And just below that? You guessed it, two large machines blowing wind gusts up into the hole.

2 comments:
It's hard to deal with all that mess when Clay's out of town!! YIKES! At least it's not a river and Clay's right...count your blessings.
Hormones and no school for J don't help the situation!!
~E
So sorry Paula- believe me I feel some of your pain with the basement issues! But when J and I were super stressed about all the mess, and were at our wits end- I stopped and thought about the family who lost their little toddler in this disaster, and suddenly that mess in my house didnt seem like a big deal at all anymore. It stinks to deal with, but we really are blessed!
Post a Comment