Monday, September 14, 2009

Cook Out At The Cottage

We hosted our annual cook out this past weekend. Is it still okay to call it annual if this is really only the second time we've done it? The first year Jack was only 5 months old and so were most of his buddies. We called it "BBQ, Babies, and Boccie Ball". Last year, we had just moved and we tried. We really did. But, by the time we got the evite out, most people had plans. And to be honest, I was kind of overwhelmed with the move anyway. So we opted out and here we are this year.


My, my, how have the "once babies" have grown. Most are in their second year, some older and we've even added a couple of younger siblings and friends. Of course, the title of our shindig has quickly changed. I couldn't think of anything catchy with the word "toddler", so I went for "Cook Out at the Cottage". I like to call my house a cottage, because of the style and feel of it. (And this is for Clay...NO, not because I think it's small!!) That really bothers Clay--he thinks of size and I think of style.


Regardless the 'Cook Out at the Cottage' was a great time. I like to consider it my last "hurrah" before our world gets rocked over here (a.k.a Maggies' arrival). Of course, being the hostess, I was running around like crazy...getting more food from the fridge, changing J's diaper, showing off M's half done nursery, feeding & cleaning J, controlling my feisty dog, and making sure everyone was enjoying themselves. I didn't get to engage in as many convos as I would have liked. But, just having everyone here made me happy.


So here are a lot of pictures until next year, when we add another to the brood, (or maybe more than that...wink, wink), and I'm not saying who, but I have a couple suspicions...

An obviously engaging conversation that I missed out on while I was running around playing hostess. (and look at Jack..caught in the act throwing something--hmm, I just noticed that!)

The Toole family...the newest addition, Thomas, who will be a year in October. He missed Babies and BBQ two years ago.

Wesley Kate, the little Bubble Queen. And how sweet is that precious outfit? I can't wait to do that to Maggie!

This is what I get now when I tell Jack that I would like to take his picture...an over animated little ham! (at least he doesn't run,huh?)

Look at the sweet girls playing in their dresses. Meanwhile Jack was somewhere covered in sand, sweat, dirt, and dinner.

Jack and Sophia are truly like brother and sister. When it's good-it's really good and when it's bad, well, you know. This was a good sharing moment.

Nate the Great debating that sand box. Hmm...is the mess worth it?

High School Buddies...okay, Allison made me swear not to use this picture. But, come on, I'm the one huge, exhausted, and hideous looking. Anyone should be thrilled to take a picture next to me!

The Grill Master. His specialty...burgers, dogs, and brats.

Dessert time. Kristen brought the cupcakes, she obviously does not have a toddler yet. They were a hit with the 2 year old crowd...and a GIANT mess!

Jack and Ansley took turns seeing who could make a bigger mess and then laughing hysterically over it.

A couple of Daddies and a game of Boccie Ball. Note Patterson hanging in the wings...he wanted to play with the big boys soooo bad!

Jack liked practicing being a big bro. He is magnet to babies these days. Which is a pleasant surprise, but also makes me a nervous wreck and the little one's mommies too, I'm sure.

Yes, we did manage this. Our secret...bribe them with Jelly Beans. I was literally able to take about 15 of these before the tots got restless. Of course, there was not one pic where everyone was looking, but hey, they sat still. That's pretty impressive. And when it was over, they bombarded me and the jelly beans.




3 comments:

Heather Dahlby said...

So sad that we always miss out on all the fun! Looks like everyone had a blast.

The Fokens Family said...

CUTE post...so sad we had to miss it. I'll be looking for that evite next August:) I'm so impressed that you pulled this off being 7 months pregnant..or is it 8?
Love the jellybean trick!
~Erica

Tanya said...

I love the high school girl picture. You all look great! What a fun cookout!