He whined...a lot. He cried when his friends played with his toys. He threw a full out temper tantrum right on the kitchen floor when he couldn't have a cupcake before lunch. He screamed when a younger playmate borrowed his high chair. He chanted, "mine, mine" when anyone so much as looked at what he was playing with. His favorite answer to anything I asked was an emphatic, "no". He was DIFFICULT with a capital D, and that is putting it nicely. He visited time out once and we had a nice "talk" twice. Nothing really worked.
His behavior was flat out embarrassing. I just don't know why he chose to act this way. And actually, now that I'm really thinking about it, he has been a challenge for about a week now, but today was the cherry on top. Why? Is it the age, are we starting terrible 2's early? Maybe he is getting his 2 year molars? (I've been suspicious of that one for the entire week) Was he hungry or overtired? Is he getting an ear infection or cold? (last playdate we hosted I found out the next day his behavior was due to a severe double ear infection and cold) Possibly overstimulated?, it was noisy and very busy this morning (and he has been known to get that way before in an over actice enviornment). Or maybe, a combination of everything? I really wish I knew the answer. I certainly can't solve the problem if I don't know what it was. This morning was just plain HARD!
I do believe, and truly hope, that the other 8 kiddos had a great time. And I'm sure the Mommies enjoyed conversation over Jack's rants. But, I was really looking forward to catching up with my friends and giving Jack the opportunity to play with all of his buddies that he endlessly gabs about. I had so much to talk to everyone about, however I couldn't even complete a sentence before I had to go referee my Valentine villain. I feel like I left several conversations hanging and didn't even have the chance to start some...ugh! I can't stand that! Not to mention I had to pawn my camera off to someone else--there was no way I was going to be able to hide behind a camera lens today.
Once the crowd left and the goodie bags were gone, I took Jack straight up for his nap. I gently reminded him that "he needed some sleep". He didn't argue, not even for a second. I layed him in his crib and before I could close the door and whisper, "you will always be my Valentine", he was off in dreamland. As I closed the door, I thought to myself...you know, this is what love is really about, what Valentine's is really about. No matter how wonderful or in this case, how hard the day is...I still love him beyond words. And no temper tantrum, whine marathon, or selfish mood will ever change that. Unfortunately, some days playdates are just harder than others!
p.s. we will be going to bed EARLY tonight--both of us!






Note the only two pictures Jack is happy in--he has food! He finally got that cupcake ;)

2 comments:
Paula, we are going through the same thing. Our Jack has been a holy terror for weeks and the sleeping has been even worse. Come to find out, it has been his 2 yr molars, which I have heard are THE worst of the teething. Children's motrin saved our life, no lie! Good luck!
Paula,
Jack is so darn cute. He was just being a boy. Our little goofball drives me nuts about 95% of the time, so I feel your pain. He was probably just testing you out. Take it easy and remember that one day we are supposed to laugh about this stuff. Let's keep our fingers crossed.
~Andrea and David
Post a Comment