For the first time in my life, I got to see the "other side". Clay and I were the parents this morning at Jack's pre-school for Donuts With the Ones You Love. When we got the invite last week, I was ecstatic. Definitely more so than Clay or Jack. But for me, this is what I've always wanted to do, be a Mom. And not just any Mom, an involved Mom. This was my chance to see the "other side" of the classroom and this time NOT as the teacher. And I'm happy to say it was a delicious morning.
9:10 we arrived at school. This is 20 minutes earlier than usual. On top of that, the entire family had to be dressed and Jack needed about 3 extra layers since he was suppose to wear his short sleeved Spirit Day tee (which could not get any greener...yuck!). Some how we did it. Jack strolled into his classroom, just as he does every Friday morning, but this time Mommy and Daddy were right on his heels. A curious Jack headed to his seat and the donuts were served. I don't know which part Jack thought was better, Mommy and Daddy standing in his classroom or the giant donut covered with icing and red and pink sprinkles sitting in front of him. I wasn't too keen on the extra sugar, considering this was his first donut and all. One step at a time on the sugar ladder, please! However, I wasn't going to be the Mom hovering over the trash can scraping icing and sprinkles off of my tot's donut. Don't think it didn't cross my mind though.
After donuts, conversation, and lots of pictures (yes, I was "that Mom", but I must note, I was NOT the only one), Jack wanted to show off some of his classroom toys. He repeatedly chanted, "Mommy play, Daddy play" with a giant grin on his face. Loved it!...I will wallow in these moments were Jack actually wants us at school. I know too well how fleeting these times are.
We left our little sugar-high toddler promptly at 9:45 and let him begin his day. I knew to leave right on time from my days of being on the "other side"...the lingering parents use to drive me nuts! A few tears ensued, but by the time we had rounded the hallway corner Jack was off to playing again.
So there it is, my first morning on the "other side". My first morning of being the Mommy at school and not the teacher. It was just how I imagined it...minus the sugar...and the tears. But all in all it was perfect, and I've decided I'm going to stay on this side for a while!
Hmm...I've never seen one of these before. If Mommy hasn't given it to me, it must be pretty good.
Jack, Mommy, & Daddy at Donuts With The Ones You Love. (there goes that bang again) Will we ever get a decent family picture that is not taken by a professional?
Jack ate ALL of the icing and sprinkles off of his donut and left most of the dough. He then asked for "moh donuh". I explained that you have donut left on your plate. He said, "no" and shook his head. I then figured out his idea of a donut was, unfortunately,... icing and sprinkles.
Jack showed off almost EVERY toy in his classroom while chanting, "Mommy play, Daddy play".

No comments:
Post a Comment