Sunday, May 11, 2008

Mother's Day



My second Mother's Day was absolutely wonderful! Especially compared to last year when Jack was less than a month old and crying nonstop. Last year we ended up eating "brunch" last minute at a very noisy burger joint. We thought the noisy atmosphere was a perfect choice to drown out Jack's wailing. Luckily he didn't wake up to test out our theory. Looking back, we should have just enjoyed the day at home. But then again, I think I was itching to get out of the house like a real person at that point. Anyway, that is all over with now and this Mother's Day proved to be much more peaceful. It started with sleeping in--my favorite thing to do. That could have been my gift in its self and I would have been thrilled. But, Clay and Jack decided I deserved more and surprised me with an one hour massage. Yea! That will be perfect for my ailing back that has been caused by toting a 24lb baby around. We spent the rest of the afternoon as we normally do on Sunday...mass and then lunch. Lots of Sundays we end up having a quick lunch do to Jack's nap time nearing. But today we took a chance, since it was Mother's Day after all. We enjoyed lunch outdoors, nothing too special, just sandwiches. I didn't need anything too fancy anyway. I was just happy to have my two favorite boys with me. You see, Clay almost had to play in a tennis tournament today. Luckily after about 5 wins, he finally lost yesterday (no offense hubby), which meant he got to spend Mother's Day with us. Who plans a tennis tournament finals on Mother's Day weekend anyway? No need to waste time pondering that concern anymore, thankfully it didn't become a reality. So needless to say, I was happy eating anywhere! But, that's not even the best part. After lunch we took a quick walk over to Stride Rite since we were so close. It had to be super speedy because Jack was overdo for a nap by this point. I just wanted to make sure his shoes still fit, they were beginning to look a little snug. I had taken him in to the store about 3 weeks ago only to be disappointed to hear that his feet hadn't grown and his shoes still fit just fine. But, today was Mother's Day and I was in for the best gift ever. After a quick measure...Jack's feet had grown! Yes, a whole size and a half... and in just three weeks! The sales clerk told us it can happen almost overnight. Well, it wasn't quite overnight, it was actually 21 nights to be exact, but I was thrilled. We bought Jack a new pair of shoes and now we can say his feet are officially average size. This Mommy is going to get a good night's sleep tonight! So, to all you fantastic Mommies out there, I hope your Mother's Day was just as wonderful! Happy mother's Day from our family to yours.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You and Jack look absolutely adorable together! Happy Mother's Day and we can't wait to see you on Thursday!

The Fokens Family said...

Happy Mother's Day...what a cute mommy/baby pair!!