When Jack chose to take a break from karate to join the neighborhood swim team this summer I questioned if he was ready. Yes, he can swim {and has been able to since he was young toddler}. But sometimes that hesitation that he harbors gets in the way.
To my utter surprise, and a pleasant one at that, Jack has had a blast swimming for the Streaks this summer. And while he has loved the water and the friends, I have loved watching him conquer fears and pocket his cautious side.
Back in May, at the start of practices, Jack immediately questioned if they would be swimming in the deep end. {One of his uncertainties.} Ummm...couldn't lie, so I pulled a quick, " we will find out". Obviously practice did take place in the deep end and, not as obviously, Jack jumped in. Fear number one conquered.
Next up was the practice meet in late May. Here Jack questioned having to jump off the block. First time around he held my hand, second time my pinky, and by the third he was on his own. Fear number two conquered.
Jack also spent a good three practice weeks with a coach in his lane. His security blanket of sorts. By the first meet he was on his own. Another fear conquered.
What I've enjoyed most about this season has been watching Jack try something new and scary and finding out that he actually likes it. This swim team experience will definitely be my new ammunition when we face challenges up ahead. I'll be old an grey saying, "remember that time you were scared to jump off the block at swim and realized you liked it...some risks are worth taking".
I find it crazily amazing how a sport has taught Jack so much about himself, given him a new confidence, sharpened his listening skills, and taught him about team work . And he's even learned a few strokes in the process.
Needless to say...I am really glad we took the plunge. Not to mention who could resist this precious cutie pie in Speedos?
Before Meet Streaks cheer. Adore some good team building spirit.
Jack takes the "freestyle" element very literally. A little back stroke...
...followed by some breast stroke.
And somehow he makes it to the wall....with a very proud smile {the best part}.
Way to go my little Streak!





1 comment:
Way to go, Jack! That's awesome!
Post a Comment