Monday, January 23, 2012

The Best Thing



The best thing we Santa could have done was give Jack a bike for Christmas.  Ever since getting his bike {with a bell and a basket} our family has become reacquainted with our long lost friend...the great outdoors.

Gosh, I've missed it.  The fresh air, the kids playing in the street, the exercise, socializing with my neighbors.  I didn't realize how that little routine in our lives had slowly gotten swept under the rug.  For years it was our ritual, wake up from naps, play outside.  But, something happened.  I can't exactly pin point when it did.  I do remember taking a little hiatus after Maggie was born.  But, then shortly after we picked right back up again.

I'm thinking we lost touch somewhere around Jack's puzzle obsession which migrated into a sticker book obsession.  {If my kid wasn't so cool, I might think he was a nerd} Good news is Santa sensed a nerd alert and put a shiny blue bike on his sleigh.  I like to consider Jack well rounded.

I'm not going to lie, "practicing" our bike skills with Jack is not always easy.  Remember, yes, he is wild, but he is also s..u..p..e..r cautious.  However, we are making progress and the fact that the big kids want to play with him is a giant plus in his book.  Some days I can hardly get him back inside.  It's really a win-win for all of us.  Maggie, somehow just loves being out there {I say "somehow" because it surprises me a bit with her girly girl self} and Cosby just hears the words "bike ride" and he's hovering at the door.

Yes, Santa was good to us this year.  It's nice to be back in touch with our friend, the outdoors.  If you have a boy, it's not wise to lose touch.   It's funny how the best things aren't really the things, it's what you get out of them.



This is how it usually starts.



And this is usually how it ends.  {yes, Jack is the little one with his helmet still on}



Maggie usually joins us with either a stroller full of friends or on her tri-cycle decked out in jewels.  Don't let this picture fool you...she loves it out there.  I just had to share it because look who is trailing behind her.  This bike thing is a whole family affair.



See this...



...and this are really how she feels about being outside...it's the best thing!





No comments: