Sunday, May 8, 2011

Being Their Mother


I was looking back at my post from Mother's Day one year ago and I had said, "my kids were perfect today". Unfortunately, I can't say that this year. Well, Jack was nearly perfect, but Maggie was another story. As you can see...


She was hot and cold all day and I'm still blaming it on the teething thing. Being a toddler is tough stuff. And Jack's nearly perfect day ended with a crash. He ended up in the Emergency Room around 6:00 p.m. for a busted {and very bloody} mouth. Four hours later her returned home with three tough boy stitches. I'm saving the "I told you so" for when he is feeling a bit better.

But, being their mother certainly doesn't equal perfect days. However, it doesn't change what I cherish about being their mother. And for me, Mother's Day is the perfect excuse to remind myself of the little things that I love about being Jack and Maggie's mommy.


For Jack, it's...

*the way his little hand feels in mine as we walk across the parking lot and into school
*hearing his voice say, " Goodnight, I love you too {with 'too' being an octave higher} at bedtime
*the way he can finish the same puzzle 15 times in the same day and still exclaim, "I did it!" and then wait for me to share the same sentiment all 15 times
*when he gently reminds me, "I can do it, I am fouwr yeawrs old now", as he buckles himself into his carseat or gets stuck in his button pants while trying to undress
*his simple innocence--his toy pirates are "nice pirates' and when it comes to dinosaurs he prefers Pterodactyls because they aren't meat eaters (his version of nice)--Jack wants everyone to be the "good guy"


For Maggie, it's...

*the way her soft chubby cheeks feel against mine when I'm holding her in my arms
*when we say "nigh, nigh" to her books, her bunny, and her lamp, and she takes it all as a bedtime cue and gently rests her head on my chest before I place her in her crib
*how she thinks I hung the moon {and I will remind her of that in about 12 years}
*her soft wet lips as she leans into kiss me
*how she sweetly demands a bow and shoooz {shoes} upon waking up whether it be in the morning or after naps

Being a mother, being their mother, is all of the little moments in life that happen in between the good stuff. Like busted lips and teething toddlers. I wouldn't change it for the world and I can't imagine my world without it.

So to my sweet children, the loves of my life, thank you for being the precious souls that you are and thank you for letting me be your Mother. God has been good to us. On this Mother's Day I was reminded of all that I am and it's all because of you two. I love you Monkey and Magpie! I can't wait to see what you two have in store for me next year.




Happy Mother's Day to all you wonderful mothers out there!




3 comments:

Grammy said...

So, Jack's first visit to the ER. I know it hurt you more than it hurt him. That's not just a saying, you know.

ericafokens said...

Aww...poor J! It's inevitable with a boy, right? Hope he heals well & that you recover emotionally. Miller still has a scar from his battle wound last spring.
Happy Mothers Day to one fantastic mommy.

Erica

Erin said...

4 years before his first ER visit isn't bad! :) Wish my boys could say the same! I hope he is doing well now. Sounds like your Mother's Day was eventful!