So from there, I called up my most fabulous cousin (so like a little brother to me) and offered him the job. Being the poor, hard working college engineer student (always a plus for this kind of gig) he is, he accepted it in his first breath. Gotta love my Jon! I know making some extra bucks was appealing, but I like to believe he really loves me that much.
We set the date, discussed the plans, and Jon was here and ready to work this weekend. I ended up getting two for the price of one because my Aunt (my other fabulous cousin's Mom) happened to be passing through town around the same time and decided to stay an extra day to help us out with the garage makeover. Talk about family bonding!
I'm sure you are wondering where Clay was in all of this. And yes, of course, Clay could have done the job. However, he works all week, helps with the kids non-stop, and to be honest we don't work super well together on projects like that anyway. So I gave him a hall pass for this one and he took it and ran....all the way to the Clemson Florida State basketball game. And he happily returned home to a beautifully organized garage.

This project wasn't quite as straight forward as it may seem. Many steps were involved--1)demoing the existing work bench circa 1960, 2) demoing all of the existing wooden shelving circa 1960 also, 3) cleaning everything out--toys, trash cans, tools, sports gear, paint cans (kindly left by the previous owners--not), and large lawn care equipment. My driveway seriously looked like Samford and Son for the entire weekend. 4) disposing of the rubble, 5) a long trip to Home Depot, 6) hanging new shelving and peg board, 7) organizing the remaining items (which I loved) and 8) painting the garage floor.
Since my lovely Aunt Scrub, (who is brilliant with numbers and a pretty good handy woman herself), was there I had lots of free time to take pictures of the work at hand. My 'workers' were not overly amused, so they (correction Jon) made it as hard as possible by not smiling. He had a never ending supply of goofy faces. I told him he would regret it when it all went online and keeping true to my promise here it is. I don't who's harder to get a decent picture of my 22 year old cuz or my 3 year old son...hmmm??

Gotta love some good ol' fashioned team work. Better them measuring than me--I didn't get that "brilliant with numbers/engineering" gene...not even a little bit.
And Ta Da!...a newly organized, freshly painted beautiful garage. Well, as beautiful as a garage can be anyway. And this is only one side--more organized shelving around the corner. The unfortunate part is we can't park in it for 7 whole days--so worth it though. Jack even agreed. He came out and said, "I love the garage!" and then followed it with "Do you know why?", "why Jack?", "because it is soooo clean". That's my boy!--we were cut from the same mold and I adore it.

2 comments:
I am so jealous. Maybe I should hire you to come organize me and my girls. I am always trying and always fall flat on my face. Good job on the garage.
I love the garage but Maggie's shoes are even better! Mom
Post a Comment