Thursday, March 6, 2008

Lazy Days


I know I shouldn't be complaining but, Jack has been sleeping a lot lately. So much, that I've called the pediatrician twice and we even went in for a visit yesterday. It all started on Saturday when he went down for his afternoon nap. At 2:00 we put him in his crib and he didn't get up until 5:30. I must of checked on him 8 times and each time he was perfectly fine. By evening, he was ready for his usual bed time with no problem at all. Then Sunday he averaged about 2 1/2 hours for each nap. That is an hour more than usual for nap time. So, being the paranoid Mom that I am, I called the pediatrician. They said to just watch him, check on him often (as if I needed that advice), and if I was still concerned to call back on Monday. No other symptoms gave me any reason to be alarmed so we waited until Monday. Everything was back to normal by then, or so I thought. Then Tuesday came...more loooong naps! But, again, nothing else to cause concern. By evening he was ready for bed at 5:00. I had to do everything, short of standing on my head, to make him wait until 6:30 to hit the crib. And that was even a whole hour before Jack's normal bed time. On Wednesday he pulled another 3 hour morning nap. He only woke up because we opened his door to let a little noise in. He finally aroused sleepy eyed and groggy. That's it, I thought, another call to the pediatrician. I was hoping they would say, "it's really no big deal", but instead they wanted to see him..."just in case". Upon arriving at the office, Jack was happy, giggly and loving all of the compliments from the nurses. He has become quite the baby celebrity around East Cobb Pediatrics....does this mean we're there too much? Regardless, we saw the doctor, and everything checked out fine. No ear infections, no cough, no sore throat, no fever, no flu, nothing. I have to say I was very relieved, but still curious as to what has been making Jack so lazy these days. He is eating great, playing hard, and getting plenty of night time sleep....what is the problem? The doctor said, "not to worry, he may just be growing or possibly carrying a little virus with no other symptoms". I don't know if that answer is good enough for me. I wanted something concrete that I could blame his extra zzz's on. I should be happy though, right? This is what I worked so diligently on those first few months of Jack's young life...long hard naps. And as a positive result Jack is a slave to his nap schedule. But the other part of me fears I've created a napping monster. I'm sure, as always, this is just another stage and it too shall pass. Like I said, I know I shouldn't be complaining, I guess I'm just wondering. To cure my wonderment, I have to continue to remind myself that anything is better than half naps or no naps...and we've been through it all!


2 comments:

mike said...

I wish I could sleep like that!

S, J, B, & S said...

Well I am jealous! My son sleeps only 30 minutes at a time ... MAYBE twice a day, usually just once! My bet is Jack is going through a growth spurt ... but I would have done the exact same thing you did. Love the pedi, even if they're getting sick of seeing us! :)