My mom has been wanting to take the kids to Cincinnati, where she grew up, for quite a while now. In a Grandma sort of way, she wanted to take them around where she grew up, where my Grandparents came from and basically just show the three little ones off to family. After not being able to make it work over the summer, we landed on this past weekend. Which just so happened to be Maggie's birthday!
So we spent the weekend traveling down Memory Lane and celebrating Maggie's 10th with family.
We stayed downtown on the river and since it was Maggie's big day, we let her make the first choice of the morning. And that's how we landed at the downtown skating rink just a few blocks up from our hotel.
Although it was certainly cold enough to be snowing, this was the only snowball we came up with, but it sure did bring a smile to the birthday girl's face.
On our way to what would be the "Memory Lane" part of our day, we made a quick surprise stop for Maggie. 10 is a biggie you know!
Fitting for the day, Maggie chose an ice skate charm for her bracelet. I love that we have this special piece of jewelry from her trip to NYC. It's so fun to add memories to it and I'm sure she will never forget ice skating on her 10th birthday in her Grandma's home city.
Now it was time to get that history tour we came for.
Our first stop was Chetbert Drive. I've been hearing this street name since I was a tiny tot myself. Apparently, my mom has some great childhood memories from this street. This is the house my grandparents starting raising their children in. She lived here through elementary school until they moved to Kentucky Lake, which is where all of my childhood memories are from.
The best part of seeing all of this was still having my Grandma {GG} there to bounce around with us.
Another word I always heard growing up was ....Graeters. According to my mom and Grandparents this was the best ice cream in the world. The little shop was just up the road from Grandma's first house and we all got to hear about Grandma and her siblings walking there to get treats many years ago.
So, of course, this was our next stop.
From there we made our way to my Grandpa's house. He was one of 9 children and according to old tales, this house was a biggie back in the day. They had an upstairs and downstairs maid and a swimming pool, which apparently was unheard of.
But of all, the most exciting for the kiddos was the stop at GG's orphanage. I can't begin to tell you how many stories I heard about this place growing up. And I can't tell you how many times I would beg my Grandma to tell them to me again and agin.
She truly had a fascinating childhood and I feel so blessed that she is mine.
After a day of traveling down Memory Lane, we met up with all of our extended family for a banquet dinner at The Montgomery Inn. If you haven't figured out from this hilarious picture, they are known for their BBQ. We had a beautiful view of the river and steamboats, and yes, a yummy upscale BBQ dinner.
My mom's sweet cousin surprised Maggie with a birthday cake. This is the first "family" birthday celebration where Maggie had 30 of her relatives singing to her. My sweetie was blushing all over.
But, the treat of getting to play waitress and pass out cookies and cake was by far the best present of the day.
I have to say this might have just been one of the grandest "family" birthday celebrations we have ever had. Happy Birthday sweet Maggie from you adoring family! I hoped you enjoyed learning all about where you came from!
















No comments:
Post a Comment