Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Back To School Mixed Emotions



My little man started back to school this week. He is in the Pre-School 3's room...where did time go? (sniff, sniff). This is officially his 3rd "first day" of school. You would think it would get easier, but it doesn't seem to be happening that way.

We were blessed with a fabulous teacher! Ms. Debbie actually did Jack's Curious George camp this summer and she is pure heaven. She actually makes me wish I could go back to school. Believe it or not, my energetic Jack is often very cautious in the classroom, to the point of not always sharing everything he knows.

In one week of camp, Ms Debbie had him blooming. From day 3 on, she bragged on how smart he was and how involved he was. Really? It usually takes teachers 3 months to get him out of his shell. I was so impressed with her, as was Jack, that we were thrilled to hear she would be his classroom teacher for the 3's! He was ready to go the minute he found out!

That was until we heard the news...he was separated from his lifetime best friend, Sophia. A shot to the heart. Jack is still trying to figure out why Sophia goes in the wrong classroom and he is a mix of confused emotions. On the one hand, he adores Ms. Debbie, her room, and the fun that goes with it. On the other hand, he is trying to sort out the emotions of Sophia not being there. Poor little guy is just so confused. He is really struggling with what and why he is feeling the way he does.

When you child's heart breaks, yours does too. More than I could have ever imagined. This is one of Jack's first major disappointments in life. Key word...major. Sure he has had disappointments, but this is definitely different.

And this is where I rely on my faith and remind myself...he is 3...he is resilient...this was God's plan...and he will flourish given time. I am looking forward to a fabulous year and in time Jack will be too!



2 comments:

Andrea said...

P- First, he looks so grown up.. I hear ya with the sniff sniff, I was taking David's picture this morning thinking, this is your last first day of preschool?. As for the Sophia separation, I feel bad for him too... At least when they get together they'll have new things to talk about.

~A

P.S. Maggie is so cute and who cares if she's spoiled, she's supposed to be, you can't have a baby that gorgeous without a little spoilage :)

Stephanie Brown said...

Evan started back to school this week as well-can't believe they are in K3. Maggie is adorable- I need to see her in person:)