Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Gym Junkie

Jack gives a new meaning to the word "monkey" every Thursday. About a month ago we started his Little Explorers class at Suzuki Village with his favorite friend Sophia. His teacher, Ms. Marsha, who's voice is about one octave above Mickey Mouse, is fabulous. (and I'm not kidding--about the voice that is) All she has to do is give directions for the daily obstacle courses in her animated tone and Jack is riddled with giggles. Besides his fascination with the teacher, he is in love with the gym and all of the equipment it holds...balance beams, trampolines, a rock climbing wall, slides, foam blocks, and so much more. An active toddler's paradise! We have gotten so much out of this class already. I don't know if it's due to his age and his ability to execute more skills or if it's actually the class itself. For example, at the start of class Jack couldn't even take 2 steps on the balance beam without falling off. After only 3 weeks, he used his "airplane arms", put one foot in front of the other and crossed the balance beam without so much as a slip. And now, 6 weeks later, he flies across it. Now before you get too impressed, I must note he is still holding on to my pinky fingers while doing it. But progress, none the less. He has also mastered the forward somersault (with me spotting, of course) and is working on his backwards roll. Although, I don't foresee us mastering that one by class end. During free play, my little monkey gravitates towards the trampoline. He thinks he is jumping, I haven't let him on to the fact that he's not actually getting any air, but who knows, it could happen any day. The only stumbling block we've encountered is "magic carpet" time. This happens both at the start and finish of class. First problem...he is suppose to sit--ha! Yea right, with so much else to do in that gym--who has time for that? Second problem, he is suppose to do his warm up and cool down stretches, which I must say are very age appropriate and fun. The real issue here is an 18 month old BOY. My boy wants to be on the go, so needless to say "magic carpet" time is a challenge. However, he is making progress and I've been able to coerce him into participating for at least half of the time. Progress is progress. Meanwhile, I get to look over at sweet Sophia sitting perfectly on her colored square while I'm wrestling with Jack. I have to say the boy--girl stereotype is NOT a stereotype at all. By the close of class, I must admit, I am exhausted with a capital 'E'. It is so worth it though, Jack is loving this class and my little ball of energy takes a fabulous nap on Thursdays. Sophia, Cristina, Jack and I always follow class with lunch together in the same shopping center. We alternate between the only two restaurants available. The toddlers enjoy dining along side one another and Jack is picking up on some great table manners via Sophia. Maybe one day he'll pick up on "magic carpet" etiquette from her too! Until then, we will continue to enjoy monkeying around on Thursdays and the amazing nap that follows!


3 comments:

The Fokens Family said...

Look at those longer blonde locks! I can't get over just how BIG Jack looks!!
I hope you still just LOVE the class this summer;) We'd love to join you
~Erica

Erin said...

how fun! Jack looks adorable and so grown up!

Kari said...

I had so much fun talking to you last night. I would love to catch up again soon. I am going to be on the hunt today for you know what. Have a good week.